The fateful night and predawn hours of December 22-23,1955, are indelibly etched in the annals of Three Rivers. But it wasn’t the damage in Three Rivers that led the federal government to take action. Rather it was the three to four feet of water on Main Street in Visalia that eventually led to key legislators passing bills to fund the building of Terminus Dam, completed in 1962.
Up canyon, bluff-top and hillside homes permeate the landscape. The corner of the pond that is visible is Lake Elowin. It was developed with ditch rights conveyed in a deed from Mt. Whitney Power Company. In the pre-World War II years, the property was owned by Herb Wilson. Wilson built a few cabins that became popular with visitors to Sequoia National Park.
In 1977, current owner Milton Melkonian from Visalia purchased the property and upgraded the cabins and the lake. Several renowned musicians, writers, and Hollywood celebs have made Lake Elowin Resort their secret hideaway for many years.