The Three Rivers Woman’s Club had a lively December meeting. They were entertained by the College of the Sequoias Chamber Choir, which has been providing the musical interlude during the holidays for the local club for over 20 years.
During its November and December meetings, club members donated nonperishable food items to the Three Rivers Bread Basket. Names of community children were provided by the Bread Basket, and club members picked a name and brought a wrapped gift for that child to have under the tree.
The year 2016 is the Woman’s Club’s 100th year. In upcoming issues, presentations written by club historians Wilma Kauling and Betty Powert will be published to tell the story of 100 years of the Three Rivers Woman’s Club.
On Saturday, March 5, there will be a dedication of a bench in the Village Shopping Center to commemorate the first century of the Three Rivers Woman’s Club. The Three Rivers community, Supervisor Ishida, neighboring women’s clubs, and others will be invited to attend the ceremony.
Here is a sneak peek at some Woman’s Club milestones:
1916— Club is founded.
1920s— Embarked on campaign to bring electricity to Three Rivers.
1922— Club’s giant sequoia planted on South Fork Drive at the home of then-president Nellie Britten.
1923— Tharp’s Log restoration project.
1924— Club incorporated.
1980— The Thingerie opened.
1980-present— The Club donated a total of $368,506 to various causes.
2001-2014— The Club donated a total of $146,400 in academic scholarships to Three Rivers students.
Information for this article provided by Linda DeLisio, Three Rivers Woman's Club publicity chairperson.