Sequoia-Kings Canyon: Park incidents


Drivers should be on the lookout for wildlife on roadways; park visitors need to properly store food and never leave it unattended.






Friday, August 21: Rangers issued two citations for individuals for having open containers of alcohol in a motor vehicle. Rangers also issued a citation for driving without a license on a separate contact.  

Saturday, August 22: Rangers responded to the Giant Forest Museum for a medical call for a seizing male. The male felt ill and refused transport/further medical care.  

Saturday, August 22: Rangers received a report from a shuttle bus driver of a woman walking with a “pump action shotgun” along the road south of the Giant Forest Museum. An associated vehicle was located traveling toward Lodgepole moments later. All five occupants were detained and questioned. A variety of weapons were recovered from the vehicle including BB guns designed to look like firearms, large knives, box cutters, and a police baton. Individuals admitted to shooting off the road. Multiple citations were issued to multiple people for weapons violations and disorderly conduct.  

There was one medical call of an asthma attack related to smoke from the Rough Fire.

Tuesday, August 25: Rangers were called for a male needing medical attention. The male was transported by ambulance to the hospital.  

Tuesday, August 25: Rangers received a report of 5-6 males carrying 2-3 bows and using them on the Tokopah Falls Trail. They were contacted and admitted to using them. They were cited for weapons violations and disorderly conduct. One of these individuals was previously given a warning for using a BB gun a few summers ago in Lodgepole. 

Friday, August 28: Rangers responded to a non-injury motor vehicle accident at the Four Guardsmen area.

Saturday, August 29: Rangers responded to a report of anaphylaxis at Wuksachi Lodge. The patient, who had a history of anaphylaxis, was having a mild allergic reaction — not anaphylaxis — from eating nuts in a recipe at the lodge dining room. The patient refused ambulance transport.  

Sunday, August 30: Rangers responded to a shuttle bus vs. bear cub accident. The cub was killed instantly.  


Mineral King/Kern


Monday, August 24: Rangers investigated a bear break-in at the park employees’ housing near Silver City. A bear trap has been set near the building.

Thursday, August 27: Trail crew responded to an emergency satellite communication message of a person needing medical assistance near Crabtree Ranger Station. Helicopter 552 and an EMT evacuated the patient to Ash Mountain Helibase and transferred care of the patient to an ambulance.

Thursday, August 27: Rangers provided EMS care to a patient who had walked into the Mineral King Ranger Station with a head laceration.

Friday, August 28: Rangers responded to an emergency satellite communication message of a person in distress near Timber Gap. Rangers located hikers at the trailhead who stated they had pressed the wrong button.

Saturday, August 29: A citation was issued at Guitar Lake for “Failure to Obtain Permit.”

Sunday, August 30: Rangers investigated a bear break-in of a private cabin in Mineral King.

Throughout the week, people were advised regarding the Forest Service closure of lands south of Farewell Gap, and multiple warnings were given to hunters who did not have a weapon permit for archery equipment. 




Grant Grove

The Rough Fire has affected the entire Kings Canyon area. Staff has worked to manage facilities and services for the public while adapting to a challenging, dynamic environment.


Sierra Crest

Tuesday, August 25:  Rangers assisted Fresno County Sheriff’s Office in the search for Miyuki Harwood, a 62-year-old female from Folsom who had become separated from her Sierra Club hiking group near Horsehead Lake in Sierra National Forest. Helicopter 552 provided aerial searches and troop shuttles for what turned out to be a nine-day search. The subject was found alive, but with a broken ankle and broken leg, on August 29. This incident became a national news story.    

As of Tuesday, August 25, all Sierra Crest rangers had exited the wilderness to avoid smoke impacts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.