At the regular monthly meeting of the TRUS board of trustees on Wednesday, May 5, some difficult decisions were announced. The meeting was conducted via Zoom and more than 30 community members logged on to observe the proceedings. TRUS cancels on
Here are the main takeaways from Wednesday night’s meeting:
(1) The board voted to cancel the remaining four weeks of the spring semester on-campus learning (sorry kids distanced learning will continue) and with it, the traditional spring activities including a trip to Sacramento, and the eighth grade trip to San Francisco. There is still a possibility that the San Francisco trip will be rescheduled for a later date. TRUS cancels on
(2) Graduation, that was scheduled for early June, was postponed until Tuesday, July 7; Superintendent Sherwood also announced that the Woodlake High school graduation has been rescheduled for Friday, July 10. How those graduations are conducted depends on what social distancing directives remain in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
(3) There was lengthy discussion of budget considerations including the sale of additional bonds but no decisions were made. More budget items will be taken up during a special board meeting called for Wednesday. May 27. TRUS cancels on
(4) There are two seats on the school board, currently held by Mark Frick and Jason Hawes, coming up for election in 2020. Interested candidates must file July 13 to August 7 for the vacancies the vacant seats.
(5) During public comment, several letters from parents were read citing difficulty in keeping up with the distanced learning. Parents expressed frustration with the workload and the added stress it is causing in some households. The board acknowledged the difficulty especially in households where parents work and or there is poor internet access. Teachers will be grading plus/minus so it’s hoped that will relieve some of the anxiety. TRUS cancels on
More information is available on the 2020-21 budget and all school business by calling the office at 559-561-4466.