This post from 2017 has been updated to include new songs!
Why is it that seeing a rainbow can elicit such immediate happiness? The colors can make you stop in your tracks, pull out your camera, and take a picture.
The marketer inside me has always been intrigued by the psychology of color. While there aren’t many studies on how our brain perceives color and what it visualizes, color has been used for decades to manipulate our purchasing decisions. It plays a huge role in the way we perceive a brand and its products.
In today’s current climate I especially like to see how people use the color green. What do you feel when you look at the logos below?
Green has been described as the following:
- symbolizing nature and growth
- soothing, relaxing, calming, safety
- elicits a sense of trust, prosperity, and balance
- considered beneficial to the mind and body
Green has also been widely used in stores to calm and relax customers. The color green stimulates harmony in your brain and encourages balance, leading to decisiveness. (Oh you, tricky marketers!)
For this week’s Theme Ride Thursday, we’ve put together a playlist of colors for your next profile. Make it a fun ride and play a song representing every color of the rainbow, then ask your students what they think each color represents. And in case they ask, here’s your cheat sheet.
Some of our favorite songs listed by color on this playlist are:
- Green – “Green Light” by Lorde, “Green Light” by John Legend and Andre 3000, and “Greenlight” by Pitbull, Flo Rida, and LunchMoney Lewis
- Black – “Black Betty” by Ram Jam and “Paint it Black” by The Rolling Stones
[show_if has_one=”ICA Annual Member,ICA Monthly Member”]
- Yellow – “Yellow” by Robin Schulz and Disciples and “The Skin Of My Yellow Teeth” by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- Blue – “Blue Monday” by New Order, “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” by Crosby, Stills & Nash, “Clearest Blue” by CHVRCHES, or any of the “Blue Jeans” remixes by Lana Del Rey
- Brown – “Brown Sugar” by The Rolling Stones
- Orange – “Orange Crush” by R.E.M. and “Orange Juice” by Tomppabeats
- White – “White Flag” by Joseph, “White Lines” by Grandmaster Flash, and “White Wedding” by Billy Idol
- Purple – “Purple Rain” by Prince, “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix, and if you want to step outside your comfort zone check out “The Purple Bottle” by Animal Collective.
- Red – “Red Light Special” by TLC, which is great for cool-down, and “99 Red Balloons” by Nena
- Gold – “Black and Gold” by Sam Sparro and “Gold on the Ceiling” by The Black Keys
And just for fun check out these, too.
- “Colors” by Halsey
- “Colors” by Wild Club
- “Different Colors” by WALK THE MOON
- “Sound and Color” by Alabama Shakes
- “Purple Yellow Red and Blue” by Portugal. The Man—one of my favorites!
There are two days devoted colors: International Colour Day, celebrated Mar. 21, and National Color Day, celebrated on Oct 22 in the U.S.
[show_if has_one=”Declined Annual,Declined Monthly,DeclinedInaugural”][box]The credit card associated with your membership has been declined. To continue reading the remainder of this and all other member articles, please use the form below to update your billing information and return your account to active status.[/box][/show_if]
[show_if has_one=”Declined Annual”][/show_if]
Let us know if you have others to add!